Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Character Question

Character: one of the attributes or features that make up and distinguish an individual. This is at least one definition of character in Webster’s dictionary, and one I love. Because it states that character is “one” of the attributes that distinguish us, it would be true that there are other attributes one should desire to attain as well. This of course is why the character of a person is shaped my many other factors such as integrity, honor, virtues, values, passions, standard, convictions, and so on. One’s character demands nothing less than the total commitment to these high ideals.

I am now a man in his forties having lived now 4.3 decades (not that long in some ways) who is now a pastor and one for whom ministry has been my life for better than 20 years. So you would think I have this character stuff down now right? Well yes in a way I sort of should. Truth is however I am still, and expect will be for the rest of my life working on bettering my character.

Now the above statement would suggest that in many ways all of us are on an evolutionary process or should I say revolutionary process of building character. You see one thing I have learned in my short life is that character can be developed. It is not just who or what you are it is what we are becoming too. We can change, grow, and in time be better if we desire to change. This is the essence of the Christian life. That one does not have to be stuck in the sin filled life but free from sin and guilt and shame. What is required is a U turn or better stated a YOU turn. This is called the first true step in a change of character it is called simply “repentance”.

This journey of my character change has been now over 25 years running. Praise God. I am, each and every day being transformed by the renewing of my mind and heart into the image of Christ. Isn’t it amazing how mankind was created in the image of God and now post fall from grace we are now called to be transformed into the image of Jesus. Talk about healing and restoration. How cool is that!

Now the truth is that this journey by it’s very nature is fluid. We all will slip and find our character tested. Sometimes we past other times we fail. Praise God for His grace and mercy. These are the reset buttons of our life. When we fail God says “hey buddy, push the reset button”. “Remember the cross”. “Make it right, change, work on it, do better”. “You can because I am with you”, Jesus says.

I have fallen even after becoming born again in Christ and filled with the Holy Spirit. Yep it’s true. My character flaw was in not standing strong on God’s character and recognizing that when I was weak in the flesh, hurting, and lonely God would have held me up had I ask. I did not. I tried to find my own solution and so as a 20 something virgin that really desired to honor God I fell into sexual sin. I will never forget feeling consumed with guilt. After meeting with my pastor and confessing, it was as if a dark pit had swallowed me up, and it had. The hope here however was, I had guilt and that says something about my character and conviction of the Holy Spirit. The two were in sync. I submitted to the discipline of the church, God's quickening, and to obey what was ask of me in making it right. I lost a lot of leadership integrity but gained it back when I made the decision to take a one-year spiritual walkabout to brutally examine the character flaws on my life and correct it. During this time I took a one-year fast from dating women. Many thought “he will never do it” but I did. At the end of that year I met the woman who would one day become my wife. God returned the years the locust of my life had eaten. God is wonderfully gracious.

Today my character continues to grow in depth and width. I believe firmly that ones foundation must be dug down to the bedrock of Christ Jesus and there be anchored. Only then can ones character structure be built on top. If done this way it will be the most safe and secure skyscraper of a life, a true monument to the lasting character of Christ in us.

Want to make an IMPACT in the Portland Metro area?
Contact Pastor Tim at... impactinglives4jc@gmail.com

No comments: