Thursday, August 28, 2008

Could it be that God is the original “out of the box” thinker?

Romans 1: 20 - From the creation of the world, God's invisible qualities, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly observed in what he made. As a result, people have no excuse.

It is interesting that upon refection of my life there was a time when I did not know God. Now that I do know Him this former life of ignorance is very foreign to me. If I think hard however, I can remember that I often wondered about my own existence and purpose. Along the journey of my life God awakened my soul and spoke to my heart. Using His creation; most notably the stars in the universe, I began to hear his voice and the stage was set for an ever-increasing desire for God knowledge and to serve him fully. So I made that commitment and the integrity of the Lord compels me to fulfill His calling in my life and to honor the Lord in how I live, and serve Him.

Over the years the knowledge of God has created a paradox. The more I know about God the less I know about…God. It is a wonderful paradox because what it speaks of is the limitless nature of God. This is a bedrock doctrinal truth, I am that I am (Yahweh) Jehovah…The Lord God Almighty. So I ask, who is bigger than God? People often say that leaders should “think outside the box” It seems to me, with God, this was His original idea. It is incredibly profound and deeply personal spiritual truth.

As I have grown in faith in God I have come to more fully realize that my purpose in this life is to worship the one true living God, the Lord Jesus Christ. Now one might assume that God needing worship would make him some sort of megalomaniac but really He is all sufficient so He really does not need me at all, and that is the beauty of it. He does not need me, but he does want me. So my real true purpose beyond worshiping Him is to have a relationship with Him. One that was once separated because of my condition of sin, which he took care of freely giving himself as the payment or judgment for my guilt. This is what is known as propitiation. I was found guilty in the universal court of God’s lawful holiness, but Jesus said I will take the death penalty for you. Incredible, knowing this how can I NOT worship Him?

Engaging in the act of worshiping God involves not only the raising of my voice in song, but in how I serve people as God’s ambassador. Worshiping is to glorify and lift up the Lord with how I live. Each time I serve someone by setting aside my own desires in favor of the other person’s needs I am glorifying Him and thus worshiping Him. This is very cool because in having a relationship with God I partner with Him in His mission to bring Jesus “good news” to those who are still far from Him. That I get to do it is truly an honor.

The very personal “Revelation of God” in my life makes this doctrine especially meaningful.

Want to make an IMPACT in the Portland Metro area?
Contact Pastor Tim at... impactinglives4jc@gmail.com

No comments: